So, I survived preparing for and pulling off a wedding!
Here are a few of the crafty things that went into the wedding:
Flowers – bouquets, flower girls, boutonnières, corsages, and tables
I made all the flowers out of card stock (in purples and a couple of black and white prints and out of book pages – Scarlet Pimpernel and Lays of Beleriand to be exact…). The corsages had the same flowers as the bouquets and the boutonnières were the same as the flower girls (naturally only a few buds vs giant balls of them…)
Shawl (actual knitting!!!)
Yarn: my hand spun lace weight
Colour Way/Fibre: Lorna’s Lace’s Wool Top, in Black Purl from the Loopy Ewe
Needles: 3.25, 4 and 4.5 (mostly 4.5)mm circulars
Started: April 22, 2013
Finished: May 17, 2013
Blocked: August 2013… nothing like waiting until the last minute…
Notes: Loved it, knit up fast and blocked beautifully. I was looking for something that would come together quickly and could showcase my handspun.
I covered the guest book/ thesaurus.
And made the programmes, the confetti for the tables, the table numbers, and a variety of game cards for the tables. I also painted my fan black because it was natural wood coloured with purple fabric originally…
And I’ve also finished the MDAK shawl! It only took me 5 years…. all the good pictures are the ones I took in Ontario of the first half, hopefully I’ll get some new ones of the finished shawl from my Aunt for whom it was a gift.
And I’ve been quilting up a storm. With a few baby quilts, more super hero blocks, and a sewing machine cover for my new sewing machine (nothing special a Wal-mart Brother with quilting attachments, but she runs smooth and has a walking foot and can wind bobbins so I’m in heaven).
My current mega quilt project is a Churn Dash quilt as part of the 100 Club at the LQS Fabric Cupboard. The Club works like this… there are (roughly) 100 spaces available you pay a nominal amount for one of those spots then each month you have to show up to the store yourself to pick up the fabric for a set of blocks – when all is said and done you would have a twin-ish size top for $15 – but of course the chances of you going back to the store once a month at least for months and only getting the kit are slim to noneish, especially with the coupons included with the kit (I’m thinking my first one might be a rotating mat…). This is a brilliant small business idea, I applaud the owner for it and will happily participate and dutifully pick up random things when I go in for my kits. Also you can get extra kits to make the top larger (queen size) and a border – which I will also be getting.
Anyway, I was reading the other day a blog post extolling the virtues of discussing process so I figured I’d outline here how I’m making my blocks (which I am pleased and shocked to say are turning out rather nicely).
For those of you who might not know, this is a Churn Dash block. Each block in the quilt I’m making consists of a cream centre square; 4 squares made of rectangles of each colour, and 4 half square triangle units.
I didn’t include pictures of the cutting process, because that was done already before I decided to do so. However, my process for that is to find out how much fabric I have and then make a cutting guide on graph paper. This helps me to make best use of fabric and to see that everything will fit. As much as possible I like to make strips and cut from there.
Then I make stacks of the pieces needed for each block and pin those together in little packets – this gives me a second chance to count everything and make sure it is all ready to go when I get to sewing.
Then I take one packet and lay out the pieces. In this case 4 rectangles (1.5 x 2.5 in) of cream and 4 of the colour together for sewing, the centre square (2.5 x 2.5 in) on its own for now, and the 2 of each fabric of the larger (3.24 x 3.25 in) squares together. First I press a crease on the diagonal on each of the cream squares and these ones I pin, whereas I don’t pin the rectangles.
Then I come back to the desk and trim up the HST so that they make a 2.5 x 2.5 in square.
Then I sew the rows together, one at a time, and these I do pin and I pin on the side with the angles (I have it in my head that my most wonky block is that way because I pinned on the side of the straight seams…).
Then one last press, then trim and ta-da Churn Dash blocks.
I got quite the rhythm down with them and finished all of this month’s in 2 days (would have been sooner but I had to go back to the shop for more cream – slight boo boo in the first few kits – which I anticipated due to my lovely graphs in step one, but the shop was already closed … still 12 blocks in 2 days isn’t so bad for a total noob.)